Background of the breed

The Maremma is typical of a livestock guardian, possessing a natural protective instinct. They are friendly and loyal to their own family but can be wary of strangers.
They like children in their own family but need to be supervised when other children come to visit.
They use their size & voice as a deterrent, and are not usually an agressive dog.

The Maremma sheepdog has been known in it's native Italy for 2000 years and originates from two areas of Central Italy.
The Maremma's main function was to guard the flocks against wolves & bears, and more recently from thieves & wild dogs. The dog was left to use it's own iniative in making decisions & that sense of independence is still strong in the dogs of today. In Australia, where the Maremma Sheepdog has been used as a stock guardian, farmers have reported a 35% reduction in losses from foxes, wild dogs and birds of prey

Maremma Sheepdog (n.d). Retrieved May 06, 2007 from http://www.pedigree.com.au/breeds

Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Maremma Diaries - Part 3 (Jul 08)

“The puppy turns into a teenager”

Wow, what an interesting few months it has been, and I must pass on thanks to Chris & Sue for putting up with me not writing last issue but we have moved house, and there in itself lies a whole other story.

Caya is doing well, when this goes to print, I guess she’ll almost be a year old – my god how time flies? So much for one puppy & two adults to learn and take in. We decided to make a “tree-change” and move about 200kms from Perth, which we knew would be hard on the dogs – we found a little house in Australind and went from a 2 acre block in Perth down to a 800sqm block so needless to say when the dogs arrived they raced out the back door and almost ran into the back fence!!

Moving for us and one of our cats has been a regular occurrence for us, however for Anook, Caya & Rusty (our evil cat, pictured with dogs) none of them had moved. Everyone was investigating the boxes, and then of course, I moved ahead with the cats to get them settled first. Every time I came back to Perth the dogs were like I was their long lost friend. Then came the day when they had to move and we started the 2 hour drive. We had planned along the way to have a stop, halfway in Mandurah but I must say that surprisingly enough she did extremely well, she took it all in her stride and just laid down in the back of the wagon and snoozed, every now and then getting up to take in the scenery.

Now we are living about 200m from the river, and I try to walk the dogs most days, but with Darran being away, trying to walk a Malamute & a Maremma at the same time can be a nightmare, so I’ve resulted to a bribery system and that is that one goes and the other one gets a bone which seems to be working.

Our Maremma girl has certainly been a source of many laughs since we moved into I guess what we consider suburbia. Her bark has gotten deeper and deeper and she almost has 4 kinds of barks that I can determine.

One is the “give it to me” bark which she does to Anook when he has something that she wants.
Then there’s the “talking to the neighbourhood dogs” bark, which doesn’t happen all that often but she’ll join in when she feels it necessary – obviously, she’s a woman throwing her 2 cents worth in.

Then there’s the “who goes there” bark, which when I hear it I know that maybe something is about that she’s not too sure about

Then there is the “you better back off buddy” bark, which when in full force, I get up immediately and see what’s going on – so far this has been in response to tradesman at the front door and the neighbour’s cat, along with a couple of visitors that we knew but she didn’t and was outside and she was not happy that she hadn’t gotten to say hello first.

She’s taken hydrobaths in her stride, we have found ourselves the best dog washer and Caya has fallen in love with him and “melts” when she sees him, here she is sitting in this nice warm bath, having her face washed, her ears cleaned and her nails clipped – she looks like her majesty in there.

She has inherited a distaste for birds, from her mother may I add, and does not like it one bit when I’m trying to encourage the native birds around and they come to eat at my bird house, she happily jumps off the bed barking at them – the birds are not happy and neither is mum – hmmm, how do I get her to stop that I wonder????
She loves going for walks to the river, and is absolutely fascinated by the ducks, shags and the fish that jump out of the water, loves the water and we are really looking forward to taking her to the beach to see how she’ll go there. I’m half expecting her to bark at the water!!

We have nicknamed her “faffy” because she’s always ‘faffing’ about doing something; she’s a bit of a daydreamer and kind of gazes off in fairyland, thinking about things – if only I shared her wisdom. We are so used to walking our Mally and he just powers on ahead but not our faffy, she’s off with the fairies, wandering all over the road, oh look there’s a flower, oh look there’s a bird, what a lovely day, oh look there’s a grain of sand – yes, everything has to be investigated with full trepidation. And she’s turned into a bit of a kleptomaniac – she steals any manner of things and if anything is missing, it’s usually in her bed. She’s taken a particular liking to the neighbour’s hibiscus tree and many a time, i see her chomping away on pretty pink hibiscus flowers, pulling each petal apart almost saying – he loves me, he loves me not.

She’s certainly very different to what I imagined, but I wouldn’t have her any other way, she’s my little treasure and she loves cuddles and hugs and kisses. Sue keeps telling me that she’ll be coming into season soon, so I guess maybe that will be in the next instalment.
Til then, take care and love your dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment